Thursday, November 26, 2009

PIONEER SONG

I am minoring in Speech and Theatre Education here at BYU-I and so I am required to be involved in several of the productions here at the school. I have not acted in a play since high school and so am not the greatest by any means, but I figured if I needed to be involved in a play I wanted to be on stage. I auditioned and landed a very small part. I have just a few lines, am involved in a couple of songs, and do other things like move props around the stage, but I am ON STAGE! It was really fun even though it took up a lot of time. It thrilled me just like it did when I was a teenager and I was reminded of why I like the theatre so much.

The play was called Pioneer Song and was about the experiences of women on the Oregon Trail. It centers around a woman who is hoping to find her dreams fulfilled in Oregon and realizes she will have to lose almost everything that is important to her before she can understand what it really means to be happy. She encounters countless graves along the way and imagines who and what the story of those who have died along the trail were. My one scene is of a young couple who died together of smallpox explaining how even in the midst of their suffering they continued to be so in love with one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment